SIGELEI 100W PLUS !0-100W VW MOD
*Provided for review courtesy of Gearbest.com
UPDATE 2/25/2015: I’ve just spoken with my contact at GearBest and they wanted to share a coupon that will bring the price down on this awesome mod to just $80.99! Just use the coupon code 100plusxr when you check out and the price will be just $80.99 I’ve tested it just now and it works great.
The Sigelei 100W Plus was released to correct a couple of issues and complaints that users had with the regular 100W mod. Those issues were mainly two in particular.
First was the manually adjustable center pin. Many users found that the pins didn’t last long at all and needed to be regularly replaced. Even though Sigelei had included several spare center pins the issue needed to be addressed. The “Plus” model has a self adjusting center pin that is spring loaded and fits any atomizer the first time and every time. A HUGE improvement!
The second issue was the battery cover which used both magnets and screws to hold it secure. The “Plus” model has no screws and uses 4 magnets to hold the battery cover in place. It works VERY well and is VERY secure. It also means no tools are required when swapping/charging the cells. Another huge improvement over the original Sigelei 100W mod.
Even with the improvements it still sells for the same price as the previous non-“Plus” model.
Specifications from GearBest’s product page:
Type: Electronic Cigarettes Accessories
Accessories type: MOD
Mod: VV/VW Mod
APV Mod Wattage: 10-100W
Features: Variable Wattage
Battery Form Factor: 18650
Color: Black, Gold
Product weight : 0.175 kg
Package weight : 0.270 kg
Product size (L x W x H) : 10.3 x 5.7 x 2.3 cm / 4.05 x 2.24 x 0.90 inches
Package size (L x W x H) : 12 x 7 x 4 cm / 4.72 x 2.75 x 1.57 inches
Package Contents: 1 x VW Mod, 1 x Protective Case, 1 x Chinese / English User Manual
Price: $94.89 USD
- Factory included silicon protector sleeve.
- Real world usable wattage range for most sub-ohmers.
- Coil resistance working range of 0.15 ohm to 3 ohms
- Large easy to use button.
- Large easy to read display.
- Excellent build quality.
- Strong magnetic battery enclosure means no tools are required to swap or recharge cells.
- Uses dual 18650 cells in series.
- Lots of venting holes in base to allow heat to escape and aid in cooling cells when chain vaping
- Copper self adjusting center pin in 510 connection.
- Smooth threading in 510 connector.
- Very comfortable to hold with silicon sleeve in place.
- Machined decorative lines in the side give a nice, attractive touch as well as signify it as the “Plus” version
- Works perfectly every time with no odd bugs or quirks that I was able to find.
I hate not finding any real cons with any product. I don’t believe in any product being 100% perfect but this mod really does come close so I’m going to nit pick now.
- No air channels cut into the 510 base. RTAs that have base intakes (the Squapes for example) and most clearos may have trouble getting proper air flow.
- Even with the beveled edges it’s not the most ergonomic box mod. It’s not horrible, just not great compared to some with more rounded edges and contouring. The silicon sleeve makes up for it though.
Skip the pictures and scroll to the bottom of the review for my final conclusions but I think you can tell already by the Pros & Cons how I feel about this great mod. Click the pics for full res versions.
^ The silicon sleeve has the only external marking that show this is a Sigelei mod. It also fits perfectly and makes the mod more comfortable and secure to hold.
^ With my V4 Mutation X RDA @ 0.2 ohm with dual 22ga coils I found 70 watts to be the sweet spot. Great flavor with great vapor production. At 90 watts my juice got too hot too quickly and tasted bad. I really don’t know how some cloud chasers can vape at over 100 watts. Hell, some even vape at well over 200 watts but I just don’t see the need. More power to them though but fortunately for Sigelei I’m betting that the vast majority of sub-ohmers will, like me, never need more than the 100 watts this little monster provides.
^ The dual machined grooves in the body look great and do a good job of distinguishing the 100W Plus mod from the previous 100W model.
^ Like most adjustable box mods, the Sigelei 100W Plus has just 3 buttons. Two smaller buttons for raising or lowering the wattage, and one large, very easy and comfortable to press firing button.
^ The removable side cover fits very well and it is hard to see the seam. It’s tool-less design means you don’t need to have a screw driver on you to swap out or charge the cells.
The 510 connection uses a stainless steel main with a self-adjusting, spring loaded copper center pin. The lack of air flow channels in the base means that atomizers that pull air from the base may have trouble getting enough air flow.
^ A small notch in the base allows for easy removal of the battery cover with no screw driver required. The 4 neodymium magnets and machined notches make for a super secure cover that will only come off when you want it off.
^ Copper battery contacts all around provide great conductivity. Easy to see markings show how the cells should be installed. The black ribbon makes it super easy to pop out the cells when it’s time to swap them out or remove them for recharging.
With no internal charging circuit the cells must be removed to be recharged. I happen to prefer this fact even if it’s not as convenient as the internal charging that some other mods have. I prefer to use a dedicated external charger that I trust implicitly than some tiny internal charging circuit of questionable quality. Some will see the lack of internal charging and USB port as a negative. I do not.
^ A closer look at the simple, easy to use buttons.
^ The included silicon sleeve/cover fits perfectly. It’s a nice extra that they include and it gives nice grip, more comfort (it softens the hard edges), protection from everyday scratches and bumps, and in cold weather the mod isn’t as cold in the hand as bare aluminum.
The large easy to read OLED display shows the 4 main things most vapers want
- percentage of battery charge remaining
- Atomizer resistance
To Turn ON:
* Click the large main button 5 times quickly. The Sigelei logo will appear on the screen while the 100W Plus boots up.
* If the atomizer is not installed on the mod or if the atomizer has a short you will see “Check Atomizer” on the display for a short time.
* Once on and atomizer installed, click the main firing button once to detect the coil resistance of your atomizer.
Adjusting Output Wattage:
* Clicking the “Plus” or “Minus” buttons will raise or lower the output wattage in 1 watt increments. This is FAR nicer than my HANA DNA 30 mod which increases in 0.1W increments. I don’t need to be that precise and it takes too long to scroll through wattage to reach what I want. The Sigelei’s 1w increments are much nicer and quicker to scroll through.
* Pressing and holding the “Plus” or “Minus” button will scroll through the wattage range. Release when you get to your desired wattage.
* The Sigelei will enter standby mode after 60 seconds of inactivity (no buttons pressed). The display will turn off in standby mode.
* To exit standby mode press the firing button. Unlike the DNA chips, there is no 1 second wait before you can vape after exiting standby mode. Just press the firing button and vape.
* Do note that even in standby mode there will still be current draw from the circuitry that will slowly drain your cells. In between vaping sessions it is best to just turn off the mod completely to preserve your cells for vaping.
To Turn Off:
* Click the main firing button 5 times quickly. The display will read “System OFF” for a second or two then turn off.
* Do note that in any electronic device without a mechanical power switch there will still be a very small amount of parasitic drain on your cells. If you are not using your mod for an extended period of time (more than a few days) you might want to remove the cells from your mod until you are ready to use it again.
The Sigelei 100W Plus gets a solid and hearty “Mac Approved” rating from me. I love it and can’t recommend it enough. I’ve yet to hear anyone else who has one complain about it at all either. It’s a great mod built with great quality that performs…you guessed it…GREAT! At a time when the trend is more and more watts and 280 watt box mods are available it’s easy to overlook a great mod like the Sigelei 100W Plus.
Trust me, most people will never need more than 100 watts unless they are hasing the largest clouds possible regardless of flavor. Even with .2 ohms and dual coils 100 watts will either burn your juice or vaporize it so quickly that you will get dry hits in just a few seconds of pull.
If you don’t already have a Sigelei 100W box mod, get one and make sure it’s the “Plus” model! It’s that good!
If you’ve never used a regulated high-powered box mod and have a large collection of mechanical mods don’t get one. While a mech mod will hit hard on a fresh battery, a Sigelei box mod will will hit as hard or even harder and will do it over and over until your cells are close to being depleted. Everyone I know who has one uses it almost exclusively and their mech mods sit collecting dust. It’s that good!
Thanks for taking the time to read this review! 😉